Acknowledged health resort L├╝bbenau / Spreewald

About 1200 years ago the Slavic inhabitants (“Slaven”) must have decided to construct a castle in the later Lübbenau. In a document of the year 1315 Lübbenau is mentioned for the first time as "oppidium" as a city. The teacher and city chronicler Paul Fahlisch (1844-1930) has assumed a higher age as the basis for the town. It is supposed that already in 1190 Lübbenau has been mentioned as a city in the "Destinata Lusacia".

In 1974 the Slavic origin was proved by excavations next to the castle where a rampart was found from the 9th century.

In the Middle Age craft and trade developed gradually. In the 18th Century most farms in L├╝bbenau had the brewing-right and some brewer even sold beer toto Copenhagen. During this time the post mile column (1740), the Nikolai Church at the market (1741) and the L├╝bbenau Castle (1817-20) were built. established

In 1866 the Spreewald was connected to the train network (Berlin - G├Ârlitz ), which brought an upswing for the trade and also for the tourism. It was Paul Fahlisch who organized society rides and holiday trips from Berlin into the Spreewald. In 1905 the first power station was built to supply the town with electricity and two years later the public ferry boat port was opened. Already in this time the union of the ferrymen was foundedbased. In the golden Twenties the Spreewald was the most popular destination for holidays and excursions from Berlin. destinationMore than 200 ferrymen earned theirtheir bread through the increasing tourism.

Until 1950 L├╝bbenau still remained the character of a village with a number of inhabitants of around six to eight thousand, which increased only quite slowly. Then at the end of the fifties the city became the location of a brown coal-fired power station.   So the city was expanded to the south (new city) and due to the of numerous miner families the number of inhabitants increased in the seventies above 23000.

Lübbenau became a very important economy site in the former DDR. The relevant brown coal opencast mining in which 2/3 of all employees of Lübbenau worked formerly still left traces behind until today. Another economy factor were the many cucumber factories which refined besides the typical “Spreewald Cucumbers” also “Sauerkraut”, horseradish and other vegetables. Through the ferry boat association the tourism was represented. In summer 1975 the number of tourists who came to Lübbenau topped already over 1 million. This happened without greater events until 1990 in his "socialist way ".

  After the reunion of Germany in the Spreewald great economical, social and biological changes were made. The power station and the opencast mining were closed one after the other. The majority of the inhabitants of L├╝bbenau became unemployed. The state cucumber factories were privatized and only a few survived. The only economic which stayed in L├╝bbenau was the well growing tourism. In the meantime the accommodation business established itselfitself strongly in L├╝bbenau.  

Whether hotels, boarding-houses, holiday apartments, cottages, rooms or campsites - everything is now available in and around L├╝bbenau. Many service companies settled, for example private ferry boat enterprises, canoe-lenders, travel agencies. The new constructed crystal bath is another highlight of the Spreewald region. Through continuous innovations for the welfare of our visitors, also in the future L├╝bbenau is doing justice to his reputation as the capital of the Spreewald.

11.04.2007  Webmaster  Impressum  L├╝bbenau